Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading back through some old magazines, I wondered what happened to some of the cars you saw back then...but have seem to retired, sitting in garages, missing at the bottom of Lake Michigan? Lets start with a few names...

Rick Higa--? He had the RLR pro stocker that Damon Harmon now runs. I had heard that he owned an ex-feature drag ghia out of Texas...but never had any thing to back that claim up?

Jim Davidson-- was he involved in an accident at Larrys last year? I believe the blue chop is his fathers and sitting in his garage in Arizona as the story goes....

Matt Homer--- fast orange street bug, a member of the "Cornpanzers"

Dave Conklin--another fast street bug, last known to be wearing a hair dryer. Was big on the old CLF.

Phillip and Brian drew-- I know Brian has the pro stocker and business somewhere in Ohio and Phillip has a tube chassis bug he sometimes runs without a body, but have never seen them out side of Larrys much anymore.

John Begin--blue chop top drag bug with an adam wik front end, but ugly v-8 style headlight stickers on it. Imports Plus Racing the door says

Green dragster called "Glockenspiel"-- turbo car, ran pretty well.

All I have for right now. I do know Aaron Creech sold his blue pro mod bug to someone in Illiniois and he said he has not heard from the guy since. Twigg Harris and his black Fast-n-Forward ghia makes a rare appearence now and then. He has been at it forever.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I remember seeing some of those cars at Milan but since Milan doesn't happen anymore it's like the whole Michigan crowd has gone away.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Philip, and Brian Drew are dealing with the double edged sword of success. I would imagine they initially raced for fun, and to promote their business. Since Drew's Offroad has become one of the most successful Aircooled Shops in Ohio, I would imagine that cuts down on their fun time. They were racing at Larry's this year.

Local racer Mike Mullins had a Tube Frame Turbo Beetle with a Mendeola he Bracket Raced, but when he wanted to upgrade the Flanged Crank for the engine, and Scat told him it would be 6 months, he got frustrated, and sold the car. Now he has a V-8 Bracket Racer that runs in the 8's, and can walk into Summit Racing for parts anytime he wants to.

Even Doug I think got frustrated not having anyone to race with his Pro-Stock. Local tracks for Doug, and myself are all V-8's and unless its a VW Event, we're the only VW that shows up. And racing a Pro-Stock requires the same maintenance whether he's racing Olliey Frey, or me in my 16 second Superbeetle.

I would imagine its like the other threads on the UAC. Why race a 9 second VW, when you can have 3 10 second V-8's you can drive to the track, and have parts for them within 24 hours in most cases.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
John Begin owns several aircooled VW drag cars out of Toledo. He bring a couple out a few times each year to run the Larry's Offroad nationals and some NCVWDRA races as well at US 131 in Martin Michigan. I believe he now owns a couple aircooled dragsters he is planning to run this year.

I don't recall seeing the Davidson bug at Larry's last year. I haven't heard about an accident.

Conklin still makes some appearances now and again. I think he split a cyl last season with that turbo.

I haven't seen the Glockenspiel car for a few years.

If you know of anyone with a VW drag car just sitting, make a point to encourage them to drag it out to run somewhere in 2014.
(Or sell it to someone who will)

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Milan still happens it has just been reborn and moved to the other side of the state to US131 and they are having the race in July this year.The track blows Milan out of the water and it would be great to see it get to the level that the other Michigan Bug Outs had.There is no reason for it and hope all that used to enjoy that event make an affort to make this event great also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts