Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking with a good friend today and others regarding the appropriate drivers jacket I will need for my ride. I have a 2012 rule book, but I am not finding any definitive answers. Sent and e-mail to the NHRA tech office today but it was after hours so I won't hear back until Monday or Tuesday.

Here's my set-up:

VW (of course) rear engine enclosed body

OEM firewall removed, but being replaced with a .024 steel sheet metal and sealed

Running only Race Gas like Q16 or VP 116

2387cc Turbocharged engine

ET goals are expected to be between 9 and 9.5 on the quarter mile and between 135 and 150 MPH.

What am I expected to have for jacket and pant combo?

Agent Orange QUESTION MARK SMALL

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Jacket and pants SFI 3.2A/15 Gloves shoes or boots SFI 3.3/5 mandatory.

Your rule book spells it out in the super pro, pro , sportsman section. Not in the general regulations section.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
portersprecision said:
Jacket and pants SFI 3.2A/15 Gloves shoes or boots SFI 3.3/5 mandatory.

Your rule book spells it out in the super pro, pro , sportsman section. Not in the general regulations section.
How is it that I would qualify for those classes?

AO

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
If you race where it is hot make sure not to just buy the cheapest suit to meet the spec. I don't remember the brands but I know my brother spent a little more and is is much thinner, more flexible and not as hot.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just got off the phone with Pat at NHRA Tech. Gave him all the details on the car...

Since the firewall is being replaced with .024 steel, I will be required to have 3.2A/5 jacket and pants.

Helmet, neck collar and gloves will be required as well. No mention of the shoes.

Thank you NHRA Tech - Pat

For value I did locate a company out of Camarillo, CA and mentioned on another thread here on UAC that will custom make -15 and -20. So I already had a plan "B"

Just have to locate another shop to fabricate the cage and make my ride a roller.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Evert -- -- I'd wait 'til the last second to get these items -- rules could change before the car is done... most of this stuff is on the rack at summit or Jegs and you can get it in a week

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fiatdude said:
Evert -- -- I'd wait 'til the last second to get these items -- rules could change before the car is done... most of this stuff is on the rack at summit or Jegs and you can get it in a week
Thanks H.
Yeah waiting to get those items. But if it was to go another direction, I would have scrapped the project. Things are looking up though.

EV

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Agent Orange said:
How is it that I would qualify for those classes?

AO
Because they are NHRA bracket racing classes for any & all cars at three ET cut offs. Sportsman 12.00~19.99 Pro 9.00~13.99 S-pro 7.00~11.99 Safety equipment requirements spelled out for all type of Combinations. As Tom Simon stated, Non OE firewall, supercharged, turbocharged factory OE or non OE, ECT. Are VW's fall into one of these groups and what Tech goes by.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
portersprecision said:
Because they are NHRA bracket racing classes for any & all cars at three ET cut offs. Sportsman 12.00~19.99 Pro 9.00~13.99 S-pro 7.00~11.99 Safety equipment requirements spelled out for all type of Combinations. As Tom Simon stated, Non OE firewall, supercharged, turbocharged factory OE or non OE, ECT. Are VW's fall into one of these groups and what Tech goes by.
Thanks Chief.

I know the Tech at the track has the last word.

Evert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts