Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

Wheelie Bars and wheelie bar wheels

19K views 94 replies 38 participants last post by  flattop 
#1 ·
#3 ·
In regards to mounting Wheelie Bars...
I have just received a set of wheelie bars from Ric Campbell at Big Wig. Very nice bars, light weight with cool wheels.
The mount is square tube that welds to the bottom of the frame horns. What is the typical installation when using a Berg Type 2 trans mount at the rear? Do people weld it to the trans mount or still weld it the the frame horns in front of the trans mount?

#5 ·
Mike Lawless said:
In regards to mounting Wheelie Bars...
I have just received a set of wheelie bars from Ric Campbell at Big Wig. Very nice bars, light weight with cool wheels.
The mount is square tube that welds to the bottom of the frame horns. What is the typical installation when using a Berg Type 2 trans mount at the rear? Do people weld it to the trans mount or still weld it the the frame horns in front of the trans mount?
Mike,
Mine is a type 1 mount and it's welded to the mount.

#8 ·
Mike Lawless said:
That's what I'd like to do as well. Do you guys have the mount gusseted to the horns to keep the trans mount from flexing too much?
No Mike, you cant install sissy sticks on your street car, I had to say this. I got the same thing when I converted after many years of never using them.

Knowing that you have the Berg Conversion yoke mount, which is what I had, but it does not have the wheele bar attachment. I got a new mount from Berg with the mount, problem is the mounts are left to right, not front to back, more of a hassle to mount and unmount the bars. The Berg yoke mount does have extra bracing to use two on each side of the frame horns 1/4 bolts to bolt through the spot welded part of the horns. That design works great for strength, I guess you could modify the mount and change the attachment front to back.

#10 ·
Ok. Thanks guys. I'm fairly sure of what to do now.

Bob, it was a tough decision. Lots of things to consider. My muffler won't work with the bars, the extra weight, my header getting beat to death, spectators love wheelies....I just wanna make it through a race without my header falling apart like it has been doing at Famoso where the traction is awesome!

at least they come off easy.

#24 ·
The only trouble with Sac is the traction (at least for the Blue Car) has not been such that I need the wheelie bars there. The ETs are really good there, but header draggin' wheelies are really only a problem at Famoso and Vegas.

I'd also imagine that the track operators might frown on some "showboat" in a VW scrapin' a couple of paths through the rubber on the track.

Well looky there. I'm chickening out already. The "No Wheelie Excuse-O-Meter" is fully functional.

#25 ·
Mike Lawless said:
Well looky there. I'm chickening out already. The "No Wheelie Excuse-O-Meter" is fully functional.
LMAO

Mike Lawless said:
The only trouble with Sac is the traction (at least for the Blue Car) has not been such that I need the wheelie bars there. The ETs are really good there, but header draggin' wheelies are really only a problem at Famoso and Vegas.

I'd also imagine that the track operators might frown on some "showboat" in a VW scrapin' a couple of paths through the rubber on the track.
Maybe Vegas, lets just keep it in mind, maybe down the road someday?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.