Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing some recent posts on here, I got to wondering what happened to a lot of the old VW racecars I used to see around, but haven't heard about in a while.

So, I believe this should be a thread for stories and or pictures of old racecars that aren't on the track anymore.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
After I crashed my Ghia in early 2008 I sold her to a fella in Japan as a roller. I raced her for 24 years. He's racing her now in Japan. I tried to post some before and after pics but I couldn't figure out how to do it, techno pesent that I am.

·
Registered
249 Posts
lance gregory said:
I was wondering about some of them..

Fear Factor
Sum Fun

there are allot of cars that sold but I have yet to see them race again.
Lance, Sum Fun is in Scotland in Russell Richie's collection. I saw it racing at European Bug In 1 in 2007, and I think it's been raced at EBI events since. I think Russell bought Rod Jr's beetle too.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
lance gregory said:
I was wondering about some of them..

Fear Factor
Sum Fun

there are allot of cars that sold but I have yet to see them race again.
Here are a few pics I took way back in the day of $um Fun Bug.

Thats Dom Luppino in the spectator lane in his Plum Crazy race car.
[img= width=800 height=572]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd110/Buggdude67/chop%20top%20pics/sumfun3.jpg[/img]

[img= width=800 height=533]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd110/Buggdude67/chop%20top%20pics/sumfun2.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I guess Chris Tool is doing off-road engines now, found his web site recently, but don't know where his Super Street car went? I started a couple threads, one was about Matt Olsen's turbo'd Quick 8 roadster Bug and the other about a white Super Street car with a blue "pulseline" type graphic down the side from the '93-'94 era, but haven't heard any feedback as to where they are now?

It's interesting to learn the whereabouts of some of the cars I used to watch when I was still high school age or younger...

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Jim Gillum Racing said:
After I crashed my Ghia in early 2008 I sold her to a fella in Japan as a roller. I raced her for 24 years. He's racing her now in Japan. I tried to post some before and after pics but I couldn't figure out how to do it, techno pesent that I am.
Jim, here are some pics I took that day and another one copied. They look like **** because it is my cel phone camera. I remember that day, it was rev, pop, skid, bump. I am glad it was at such low speed.

Copied.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Jim's car went across the ocean and his gloves, arm restraints and collar are in my shop awaiting use from me. Do I need to get an orange stinger?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
an orange exhaust with a purple car could be interesting until i can get the pink car ready... orange and pink could just be painful for those behind the car in line :suicide: send the paint! :crazy:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts