Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
as with the CAR CUSTOM dragster, we had it for sale in the show room and the engine we sold first to a customers sand rail. then the car went to japan after that. i did see it in a japan magizine with 48 ida's on it in the picture. i had an idea for the turbo set up i had dunan and nuss machine a third gear down and press and pin a fourth gear ratio on. i had done that to eliminate fourth gear completely. so now we had a three speed with a 104 ratio. i'd like to have heard the japs wondering how frigged up americars are with picking gear ratios when they ran it with ida motor. even with the turbo motor it was like it killed the motor when you hit third, but the turbo gobbled it up. i'm still active in racing although it's with v/8's now. i wonder if buster had to clean his shorts out after thursday nights near wall encounter at irwindale. glad he got things sorted out.

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
deepockets said:
as with the CAR CUSTOM dragster, we had it for sale in the show room and the engine we sold first to a customers sand rail. then the car went to japan after that. i did see it in a japan magizine with 48 ida's on it in the picture. i had an idea for the turbo set up i had dunan and nuss machine a third gear down and press and pin a fourth gear ratio on. i had done that to eliminate fourth gear completely. so now we had a three speed with a 104 ratio. i'd like to have heard the japs wondering how frigged up americars are with picking gear ratios when they ran it with ida motor. even with the turbo motor it was like it killed the motor when you hit third, but the turbo gobbled it up. i'm still active in racing although it's with v/8's now. i wonder if buster had to clean his shorts out after thursday nights near wall encounter at irwindale. glad he got things sorted out.
I remember that dragster. Here are a few pics I took of the Car Custom dragster from a Sac Bug O Rama.

[img= width=800 height=536]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd110/Buggdude67/VW%20dragsters/CarCustom2.jpg[/img]

[img= width=800 height=406]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd110/Buggdude67/VW%20dragsters/CarCustom1.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
44 Posts
thats so cool that people have pictures of the car. something i did'nt do enought of. we did'nt have you tube and all the digital cameras then, thanks for sharing. remember to take as many pictures of your toys for the memories. i remember jim upshaw, great racer for an old guy (hint ron barrett) any how he had air brushed lettering on his deck lid that said, "making memories for the days when you get old"

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
deepockets said:
What happened to the Car Custom '67 sedan? Used to be in a Scat ad that ran on the back cover of the VW magazines in the mid '80s?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My 1974 Super Beetle.

It ran 19s with the 1600 with burnt valves.

Unfortunatly a brief career, started May 10, 2008, and came to an end September 19, 2010.

Accomplishments include:

-2009 NASA Champion
-2009 NASA Rookie of the Year
-3 Time 2009 NASA Winner
-3 Time Street Legal Drags Winner 2008-2009
-Bug-O-Rama 62 Winner 2008

July-2010

April 2011

A far fall from greatness. Very sad.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
lance gregory said:
I loved watching Jim Upshaw and Dorthy rocking whne he shifted gears..lots of fun in the 80's...
thanks for the memories and yes we are making more ..keep it up guys.
I've been paired up with Upshaw more than once in the bus. I believe he was from Upland,CA. He would wind that stocker till the valves floated and held it there forever waiting for the tree to drop. He must of been 65+ in the early to mid 80's. He had a bumper sticker saying "making memoris for when we get old". Does anyone know if he is still alive?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts